Subject: Re: PGP Undocumented Commands
From: Peter Simons <[email-masked]>
Date: 1996/11/22
Newsgroups: comp.security.pgp.discuss

[email-masked] (Perry Manashe) writes:

 > Peter, do you have a list of some undocumented features/commands for PGP?

There are a few undocumented features I know of, but I won't claim
that the following is a complete list. The PGP source is just too
messy to find them all. :-) I am doing this out of my memory, so
please someone correct my if I describe something incorrectly.

 -i  Adding this flag to the command line will cause PGP to include
     additional file attribute information into the encrypted message.
     When you decrypt a message, you can add the -p option to retrieve
     the original filename. If "-i" has been specified, you will also
     get the correct file permissions, probably the owner and time
     stamp also. This will only work between identical operating
     systems, say, when transferring a file from Unix to Unix.

 -l  This flag switches PGP into "verbose" mode. PGP will give you
     more detailed information about what it is doing. When using it
     with -kg, for example, it will display the actual number that are
     your public- and secret key. It will also display information
     about memory usage and the like.

 -km This is an abbreviation for "key maintanance" and does pretty
     much the same as -kc. "pgp -km" will go through your public key
     ring and trace the trust and signature information, re-building
     your web-of-trust and updating the information on the keys. The
     difference to -kc is, that it won't check the validity of every
     single signature, what speeds the whole process up significantly.

 encrypttoself = on  This line can be added to your config.pgp file,
     to make PGP encrypt every message to the specified recipients and
     with your own public key. Hence you will be able to decrypt
     anything you send out, too, what you aren't by default. Using
     this option is absolutely -not- recommended. You're hurting your
     own security by adding this!

Okay, that's all I know of at the moment. If you look at config.c and
pgp.c carefully you might discover additional features that the
mortals don't know of. :-)

        -peter

--
              _..--''``\--....__    _..,_
     ____ _.-'`   .-/";  `       ```<._  ``-+'~=. ____
    /  .-' _..--.'_    \                    `(^) )   /
   /  ((.-'    (< _     ;.__                 ; `~   /
  /             `-._,_)'``  ```--..._____..-'      /
 / Purrrr...          http://home.pages.de/~peti/ /
 `````````````````````````````````````````````````