Subject: The Publisher's pubdraw and pubpaint going away
From: [email-masked] (John Oleynick)
Date: 15 Mar 1995 12:25:30 -0500
Newsgroups: ru.nb.dcs.announce,ru.comp.qa.publisher

ArborText is no longer supporting their PubDraw and PubPaint programs
in The Publisher.  If you have any PubDraw or PubPaint figures in your
Publisher documents you must convert them into IslandDraw and
IslandPaint figures.  ArborText provides tools to do this but they are
only available in older versions of the Publisher that run under SunOS
4 (ArborText actually dropped support for PubDraw a long time ago but
we haven't installed a new version of The Publisher for over 4 years
and the 3 year old version of the Publisher that can convert PubDraw
and PubPaint figures only runs under SunOS 4).

A version of The Publisher that can convert PubDraw and PubPaint
figures into IslandDraw and IslandPaint is now installed on the DCS
Faculty machines.  If you are using The Publisher on the DCS Faculty
machines, instructions for converting your documents are below.  If you
are using The Publisher on the DCS Graduate machines and also have an
account on the DCS Faculty machines, you can copy your files to the DCS
Faculty machines, convert them, and then copy them back to the DCS
Graduate machines.  If you are using The Publisher on the DCS Graduate
machines but don't have an account on the DCS Faculty machines, send
mail to `help@paul' and someone will convert your files for you (please
do this by March 31).  If you are using The Publisher on any other
machines, you'll have to ask your system administrator to install a
version of The Publisher that can convert PubDraw and PubPaint figures
(make sure they do this before upgrading to Solaris since there is no
way to convert figures using the version of The Publisher available for
Solaris).

If you have any questions about this, please send them to `help@paul'.

Here are ArborText's directions for converting PubDraw and PubPaint
figures into IslandDraw and IslandPaint figures:

The convert_pub_graphics command alias can be used to convert all
PubDraw and PubPaint graphics in your documents for use with IslandDraw
and IslandPaint.  PubDraw must be installed on your system in order for
this command to work.

To convert your graphics, from within The Publisher type
convert_pub_graphics in the Command Subwindow.  New .drw (for
IslandDraw) and .tif (for IslandPaint) files will be created for every
graphic used in the document, and style sheets will be updated to
reflect the change in graphics processors.  Double-clicking the left
mouse button on the graphic image in the Edit Window now brings up the
new graphics processor.  Informational messages about graphic files
being converted are printed in the window from which you started the
Publisher.  PubPaint graphics are converted completely.  However, for
PubDraw graphics additional steps are required.

After a PubDraw graphics is initially converted, the following message
appears in its place:

	Partially converted PubDraw graphic.
	Open and Save with IslandDraw to
	complete conversion

If you have installed IslandDraw already and have set up the
environment variable IOFFICE as described in the installation
instructions for IslandDraw and IslandPaint [do a `setenv IOFFICE
/usr/ioffice_4.0' before running publisher -- John], you will now be
able to bring up IslandDraw on a graphic by double-clicking on the box
representing the graphic in the Publisher Editor.  Once you are in
IslandDraw, saving the graphic and exiting IslandDraw completes the
conversion and causes the fully converted graphic to appear in the
Publisher Editor.

When you are confident that you no longer need the old PubDraw and
PubPaint versions of your graphics, you should remove them from your
file system.  Both types of files are frequently kept in document
subdirectories.  The files for PubDraw graphics end in a .vec
extension.  Those for PubPaint end in .pic.

Note: Graphics in tables will not be converted by
convert_pub_graphics.  You will need to use the manual conversion
process described below on such graphics.

Converting graphics manually

Your Publisher distribution includes the two filters that are used to
convert existing PubDraw and PubPaint graphics to the formats used by
IslandDraw and IslandPaint.  You Will need to use these filters to
convert any graphics that are not part of a Publisher document.

The first is called pub2idraw.  It converts graphics in PubDraw format
(the old graphic format supported by The Publisher) to the new
IslandDraw format.  In order to use this filter, PubDraw must be
installed on your system.

The second is called bm2tiff.  It converts any bitmap -- including
bitmaps in EPS files, Sun rasterfiles, X bitmaps, and .pic bitmaps
generated by PubPaint or PubDraw -- to TIFF (Tagged Image File
Format).

pub2idraw

To use the pub2idraw filter standalone, type:

  pub2idraw oldfile newfile

where oldfile is the name of the PubDraw file that you wish to convert
(PubDraw filenames typically have a .vec extension) and newfile is the
name of the graphic in IslandDraw format (we recommend giving this file
a .drw extension).

For example, to convert the PubDraw graphic engine.vec for use with
IslandDraw, you would type:

  pub2idraw engine.vec engine.drw

This would create the new file engine.drw which contains the converted
graphic in IslandDraw format.

To make the graphic appear up in a Publisher document, on the style
sheet for the graphic tag, you will need to supply both the proper .drw
file name and a processor name of IslandDraw.

When you are confident that you no longer need the PubDraw version of
the graphic, you should remove it from your file system.

Note that this filter converts graphics for editing purposes only; in
order to be able to print or view the graphic, you must first load it
into IslandDraw and then save it.

bm2tiff

To use the bm2tiff filter standalone to convert a PubPaint graphic to
the format used by IslandDraw (i.e., TIFF), type:

  bm2tiff oldfile newfile

where oldfile is the name of the PubPaint file that you wish to convert
(PubPaint filenames typically have a .pic extension) and newfile is the
name for the graphic in TIFF for use by IslandPaint (we recommend
giving this file a .tif extension).

For example, to convert the PubPaint graphic menu.pic for use with
IslandPaint, you would type:

  bm2tiff menu.pic menu.tif

This would create the new file menu.tif which contains the converted
graphic in TIFF.

To Make the graphic appear up in a Publisher document, on the style
sheet for the graphic tag, you will need to supply both the proper .tif
file name and a processor name of IslandPaint.

When you are confident that you no longer need the PubPaint version of
the graphic, you should remove it from your file system.